Wednesday, June 27, 2012

After Graduation from College



I am a graduate of a Bachelor of Arts in Communication last 2011 from a prestigious university.


I always dreamt of having a high salary after studying for a total of 15 years (including primary, secondary, and tertiary). 


I attended some Job Fair so I can have a lot of choices. As much as possible, I want to have a job with high salary. Well I just found out that usually in a BIG job fair, employers will not conduct interview on the spot (Oh! except for call centers) and of course you can't already know the range of salaries they will offer you (Except for call centers again). You will just really pass your resume and wait for some interview invitations via SMS or calls (so keep your phones active...don't put it in silent mode because they might just call you once and if you missed it, sorry!). 


Then after 1 week (yeah, that long after that job fair), I received calls and interview invitation. I can't divide my self into parts so I need to prioritize which is which. I mean learn to manage your time. Just choose one specific company for that day and schedule other interview on another day. I think you can give schedules to the employer but I don't really suggest it especially if it is a big company since you are not their priority (oops sorry for the word). 


For an initial interview in a "well-established company", you need to go there at their scheduled INITIAL interview time (let's say 7AM). However, the first interview will actually starts around 9:30AM or even later. At first, you need to take an exam. If you pass it, then you can proceed to another step. Well it's like enrolling again. In my case, I go back and forth in that particular company for at least 10 times for 1 month before getting that job. I didn't really understand why do they need to do this since each interview takes 5-10 minutes only and you need to wait for 2 hours or more! Well, maybe to see if you are really dedicated and motivated to join their company. Most of people say don't ask about your salary at first but I think you need to ask about it after your first, second, and third interviews! Unfortunately, I wasn't able to do that so I was so disappointed during my final interview. 


After finding out that my starting salary is just like my allowance when I was still a University student, I almost get fainted because of too much disappointed. Well because I thought they will offer me a good and high salary since I have a very nice educational background and it's also because I think they are a "well-established company." I already set a very high expectation before joining this company. 




LESSON LEARNED? Never expect (haha).  





No comments:

Post a Comment